Mission: To ease the burden of veterans and their families during their stay at the Pittsburgh Fisher House.
Friends of the Pittsburgh Fisher House (FOPFH) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports the needs of the Pittsburgh Fisher House and guests. The Pittsburgh Fisher House is a temporary "home away from home” where families and caregivers of veterans stay for free while their loved one receives medical treatment at the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System. The Friends of the Pittsburgh Fisher House raises funds through private donations to help alleviate the cost of transportation, lodging, food and other amenities so the families can concentrate on their loved one during their hospitalization. Since 2013, FOPFH has supported the Pittsburgh Fisher House in providing care to over 8,900 families.
The Friends of the Pittsburgh Fisher House supports families and caregivers in many ways including:
- Purchasing all groceries for the house and guests
- Providing transportation vouchers for guests to run errands such as trips to the pharmacy or food store
- Supplying 2-3 meals per week, either delivered, catered or "grab and go"
- Supplying gifts and catered meals for holidays and special occasions
- Supplying gift cards for guests to assist with groceries and supplies
- Funding monthly “guest night out” to restaurants, movies, hairdresser or other activities
- Updating, modernizing and renovating Pittsburgh Fisher House common areas for comfort and functionality
- Publishing the Friends Focus newsletter
- Hosting special events
- Running a capital campaign to build a second Pittsburgh Fisher House in O'Hara Township slated to open in 2025 while continuing to fundraise and support the current Pittsburgh Fisher House in Oakland
- Fundraising for both Pittsburgh Fisher Houses when the second house opens in 2025